Late Dundee Strikes Take Crucial Points At Hamilton

Hamilton Academical 1 Dundee 2

Accies started the day one point ahead of Dundee, but after being reduced to ten men and conceding two late goals, finished the day two points and a place behind the Dens Park outfit. It all started so well, when defender Mark O’Hara sliced a clearance into the back of his own net with only 90 seconds on the clock.

Accies failed to add to their lead and as Dundee pressed for an equaliser late in the game, David Templeton conceded a free kick and received a second yellow for his trouble. Moments later Henvey equalised. Then with the game deep into added on time, injured Darian MacKinnon was helped off and nine-man Hamilton conceded a second from Leitch-Smith.

Martin Canning said afterwards “In the first half we scored really early. They probably passed the ball better than us in the first half and controlled the game possession wise, but we never looked like we were going to concede. Second half we started much better. We had the free kick come off the post and along the line. If it goes in it’s 2-0 and the games over.

It doesn’t go in and then Temps does something ridiculously stupid. I’ve talked to the boys all week about their decision making. And all be it that doesn’t directly cost us two goals but that decision that he makes has cost us the game no doubt. It’s a poor decision from him. He’s apologised to the boys and we’ve all got to get on with it.

But from there, we concede with ten men then we get Darian carried off and we end up conceding the second with nine men, seven minutes into injury time. So, yes I don’t think that they come much sorer than that.”


Hamilton made three changes to the side that lost to Hearts midweek, with Ioannis Skondras, Antonio Rojano and Shaun Want in for Scott McMann, Marios Ogkmpoe and Darren Lyon. The visitors from Dens Park made two changes, with Kevin Holt coming in for Jon Aurtenerxe, and Sofien Moussa replacing Jesse Curran.

The opening moments couldn’t have gone any better for Accies when they were awarded a free kick after Hendry fouled Rojano, 30 yards from goal. Danny Redmond stepped up and floated the ball into the right-hand side of the penalty area, where Lewis Ferguson got a touch and headed toward goal, where the unfortunate O’Hara sliced into the back of his own net.

Following the goal, Accies found themselves back in their own half for a spell as Dee tried to make an impression on the scoreline. McGowan went closest when Kamara played him on inside the box midway through the half, Gary Woods saved well but couldn’t hold and Alex Gogic was on hand to tidy up and clear up field to safety.

Another chance followed minutes later when O’Hara slipped the ball through to Leitch-Smith on the right-hand side. His cross into the six-yard box was inch perfect for the raised foot of the incoming Sofien Moussa to level the score, but Gary Woods was quick to race off his goal line and snatch from the end of the striker’s foot.

A windy but sedate second half came alive after ten minutes when Accies were awarded a free kick, a yard outside the Dundee 18-yard line. With Danny Redmond replaced at half time by Darren Lyon, David Templeton stepped up to send the ball over the wall and off the inside of the upright before rolling wide of goal.

It looked as if Dundee had equalised when a long ball into space on the left was gathered by Moussa, leaving him one on one with Gary Woods. The Tunisian had plenty still to do, but somehow slipped the ball past Woods from the edge of the box. The far side linesman came to the aid of Hamilton and raised his flag for offside.

With a little over ten minutes of the game remaining, Accies were down to ten men after Templeton was shown a second yellow for a soft challenge on Scott Allan. This opened the game right up and Dundee never looked back from that moment on. Three minutes later, the score was levelled when Henvey scored from an Allan cross.

With four minutes of normal time to be played, an overstretched and crumbling Accies defence almost conceded a second when El Bakhtauoi curled the ball low across the six-yard line. Woods came off his line as Henvey slid in, both missed, and the ball went wide. Again, nerves jangled when Woods saved brilliantly from an El Bakhtaoui header.

Dundee continued to press for a winner, as Accies were stretched to breaking inside injury time. Henvey and Allan had chances before the game was stopped as MacKinnon was helped off to receive treatment. When play continued, Leitch-Smith struck the winner into the top corner from a Kamara ball fired into the six-yard box.

Accies: Woods, Skondras, Tomas, Imrie, Redmond (Lyon 45), Gogic, Templeton, MacKinnon, Rojano (Ogkmpoe 68), Ferguson (Sarris 87), Want. Subs Unused: Fulton, McMann, Hughes, Cunningham.

Goals: O’Hara o.g 2.

Dundee: Parish, Kerr, Holt, Leitch-Parris, Kamara, Moussa, O’Hara, McGowan (Allan 60), El Bakhtaoui (Henvey 70), Hendry, Meekings (Waddell 45). Subs Unused: Malherbe, O’Dea, Aurtenexte, Wolters.

Goals: Henvey 77, Leitch-Smith 90+8.